Friday, September 19, 2014

Week 3 - Revolution: Pedagogy and Course Design


After reading chapter 3 and watching examples of online classes I thoroughly reflected how to use the most effective pedagogy. Also, I reflected on how to design an online course, to spark the learning for a variety of students with different learning styles, culture and background. This is a very difficult task and I will try to be direct and concise.
First, I am always worried about helping each student reach his/her full potential and to instill a love of learning. As a result my pedagogy lies between being teacher centered and student centered teaching. This will affect how I should design the online course. I would use blackboard as the LMS of the online course. Initially, I would have a questionnaire about the students' learning styles (Check out this link from a North Carolina State University, https://www.engr.ncsu.edu/learningstyles/ilsweb.html) and a survey about their experience about learning mathematics (Paper survey from Boston College, http://www.bc.edu/research/intasc/PDF/opd_bat_StudentPost_fall06.pdf ). These questionnaires would be influential in my decisions on how to implement and plan out my online course. 

The course material would be divided into weekly topics with a list of goals for the week.  I would provide links to notes, you tube videos, articles and research papers. A Forum or a group discussion would be created so I could talk one on one with students once a week  or as necessary. Students should be encouraged to participate in weekly discussions providing feedback about current topics including homework and projects. Any students with a written learning problem could use a recorder to share his thoughts. When introducing a math topic I would use the Khan website (https://www.khanacademy.org/math) to review and to practice the skills required to succeed. Assessments could be formal through online quizzes and tests or informal through real-life projects established by me or created by the student.


No comments:

Post a Comment